Grand Jury Declines Charges Against Two Fremont Middle School Instructional Aides

A Douglas County grand jury returned a no true bill for two Fremont Middle School instructional aides, finding insufficient evidence to pursue criminal charges in a case involving injuries to two students. An investigation into a separate teacher at the school remains ongoing.

Grand Jury Declines Charges Against Two Fremont Middle School Instructional Aides

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Ore. — The Douglas County District Attorney’s Office announced that a grand jury has declined to indict two instructional aides from Fremont Middle School following a review of a recent criminal investigation.

District Attorney Rick Wesenberg said the Douglas County Grand Jury returned a no true bill on Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2026, in the case involving Brian Joseph Marsters, 60, and Erich Michael Hoque, 23. Both are employed as instructional aides with the Roseburg School District. A no true bill means jurors determined there was insufficient evidence to move forward with criminal charges.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Jodee Jackson presented the case to the grand jury. Jurors reviewed surveillance footage and heard sworn testimony from two instructional aides who were in the classroom at the time, the school principal, the investigating deputy and the parents of the students involved.

The case stemmed from injuries sustained by two students in a heavily padded classroom area where large cylindrical mats were in use. According to the district attorney’s office, students were participating in activities such as throwing balls and frisbees, wrestling and other physical games with classmates and staff. One student suffered a broken arm, while another sustained a minor cut that did not require stitches.

Authorities said the injuries occurred while the students were positioned behind the mats. Although the aides who were the focus of the investigation had been observed pushing the mats while interacting with students shortly before the injuries, prosecutors said there was not enough evidence to establish that either individual intentionally caused harm.

The district attorney’s office noted that the families of the injured students may pursue civil remedies if they choose.

Separately, the investigation involving Nathan Terrance Williams, 35, a teacher at Fremont Middle School, remains ongoing. Williams has been charged with official misconduct and harassment. His case is expected to be presented to a grand jury in the near future and remains pending.